3.02.2012

Project 52: Week 9 - The Pskiing and Psnowboarding Psimases

As much as I hate handing my Fancy/babysitting/subbing money over to Ryan when it comes in, it's for the best because he is waaaaaaaay better at saving it than I am.  Because of Ryan's financial discipline, we were able to go on our first ski trip together.  Well, almost together...we left Camryn with Ryan's parents because she is too young to get on skis right now.  The trip could not have come at a better time, with Camryn taking me to my wit's end on a daily basis.  It was so great to be able to focus on Brynn for three whole days, and the trip confirmed my belief that Brynn is definitely the coolest kid I know.  And also that Camryn is off her rocker, but that's neither here nor there.

Here are a few (ok, more than a few) photos from our trip to Massanutten:


On our way...Massanutten or bust!


Since we arrived in Harrisonburg a bit earlier than anticipated and saw the next day's horrendous weather forecast, we hit the slopes for a few hours while the sun was shining:



Daddy tried his best to give Brynn her first ski lesson and me some snowboarding tips all at the same time:




The original plan was to have Brynn go to ski school all morning on Wednesday, giving Ryan and me some time to snowboard on our own before joining up with Brynn in the afternoon.  Steady, soaking rain and thunderstorms made us go to Plan B, which started off with a pancake breakfast at our hotel:




Followed by a swim in the hotel pool:



And then some antiquing (or as Brynn put it, looking at lots of "old junk") and shopping at a quirky local shop:



We used an Applebee's gift card for lunch, where Ryan ordered the all you can eat soup and salad.  Six salads and five bowls of soup later, we were on our way back to the hotel for some more fun in the pool and thunderstorm watching.  We had a pizza pajama party in the hotel for dinner, and hit the sack early in preparation for our make up ski school session in the morning.


What a difference a day makes!  We had gorgeous sunshine and warm temps Thursday morning, so we got bagels and coffee from a local bagel joint and headed to the mountain.  We got Brynn enrolled in class and geared up for her first official ski lesson:



Thankfully, Brynn wasn't in the same group as the kid who started every sentence with "And guess what?" but instead paired up with one other little girl and the instructor.  Ryan and I wished Brynn well and went off on our own for a while.  Massanutten wasn't exactly what you would call a winter wonderland right now, but the views were nice regardless:



I had a great time learning how to snowboard, despite my 2 for 20 record of staying on my feet while dismounting the ski lift.  I took a quick break to look for Brynn, who by 11am was on the lift herself and skiing down the mountain.  So impressive!  




Brynn's class ended around 2pm, and we picked her up and said goodbye to Massanutten until next time:




Yes, Ryan and I were snowboarding in our t-shirts by noon.  My kind of winter sport!  The trip must have worn Brynn out, because she was hiding under Daddy's sweatshirt for a nap before we were even off the mountain:




I wasn't far behind.  We got back to Hampton Roads, picked up the little nugget from Grandmommy and Granddaddy's house, returned our rentals, went home, and crashed.  We were back to reality by 6:30 this morning.  


I loved showering Brynn with my undivided attention, as she rarely gets any at home these days.  Knowing she's off to kindergarten in September puts me on a race against the clock to squeeze as much fun out of her days off as I can, and with the warm weather approaching, that won't be hard to do.  So if I'm MIA on Facebook or don't get to my phone as often as I used to, it's because I'm busy soaking up my little sunshines.

No comments:

Post a Comment