1.16.2011

This little piggy

This little piggy went to market.  45 miles away.  And took every last piggy bank left on the shelf.  

I'm starting to believe there is a conspiracy against Fancy Fonts.  When my plate sets got hot, I was told they were being discontinued and had a huge order on back order for weeks and weeks.  Now my piggy banks are in demand and no one seems to want to carry them (and they want me to use one coupon per day, but don't get me started on that!).  By what seems to be divine intervention, my plate sets are in stock again, and hopefully the same happens with the piggy banks.  Luckily, I have friends and family who live and/or work near every single Michaels location in Hampton Roads, and they have all been placed on high alert...if you see a piggy bank, buy a piggy bank!  

I have recently done three little piggies, one as a gift for my new nephew, one as a gift for a friend's baby shower, and the other for a friend to give to her tenants, who just had a baby this month.  I have four more in the works, and I'm really looking forward to the girls' bedtime tonight so I can start on them (and maybe catch up on some Bridalplasty or Jersey Shore while I'm at it).  Here's the scoop on my latest:

I knew my sister-in-law and brother-in-law were having a boy, but they were keeping his name to themselves until he was born (and for several hours after he was born until they could figure out what it would actually be!).  My brother-in-law went to the University of Virginia, so I knew I wanted to incorporate UVA into my nephew's piggy bank somehow.  I love the UVA logo with the V and swords, but I thought the chances of them naming this kid Vincenzo,Virgil, or Vern were slim.  When they announced his name was Gavin, I nearly did a backflip.  Not only was I able to use the UVA logo, but it would look nice and symmetric on the piggy bank!  See my inspiration (albeit a little blurry), followed by the final product below:






The next one was a little more straightforward.  I used baby Isla's crib bedding as inspiration for her piggy bank.  Pottery Barn Kids' Penelope, in case you love it and must have it:





This guy is for Charlie, whose dad is a music man:







Each of the piggies above are the large (7 3/4 inches) banks and can be purchased for $25.  Medium and small banks are also available for $15 and $5, respectively.  Email me at karen.psimas@yahoo.com or message me on Facebook to place an order.  Every penny earned from now until I jump into the frigid Atlantic on February 5th will go toward my fundraising efforts for Special Olympics Virginia.  Get a great gift AND support a great cause at the same time!  Regular donations can also be made on my secure fundraising website - www.firstgiving.com/karenpsimas.

No comments:

Post a Comment