4.25.2012

Project 52: Week 17 - Kids of culture

This week has given me a shove into the reality of what's to come in September...I'll be sending my firstborn off to kindergarten, and my baby will be starting her academic career in pre-school.  As it stands, this will happen on the same day, and I'm not quite sure how I'm going to get through it.  The thought of putting my sweet Brynn on a school bus with all those big kids terrifies me...I imagine I'll have to purchase a pair of giant Jackie O. sunglasses to wear at the bus stop when I send her off. 

Camryn, on the other hand, could not be more ready to start school.  She already wears her backpack when she comes with me to drop Brynn off at school, and it's hard to get her out of Brynn's classroom if she manages to sneak by me as I'm kissing Brynn goodbye at the door.  I can only hope Camryn even acknowledges the fact I'm leaving when I drop her off that first day!  

But even though I'm anxious about the big changes that are coming our way in the fall, I'm comforted knowing that the Psimases will be in the Kids of Grace family for another two years.  I cannot say enough good things about this preschool...the director, the teachers, the parents, and the curriculum are fantastic, and I feel so good leaving my child with them during the week.  They do the typical programs at holiday times and have a book fair once a year, but this year, Kids of Grace went above and beyond to make their students feel special and proud of themselves.  The school transformed the chapel area into an art gallery, featuring several pieces of art that each child has created during the school year.  Multiply 4 or 5 pieces of art by 93 kids, and you have quite the art exhibit!  Each child had their own little space with their artwork on display, and there were a few tables set up with "sculptures" (caterpillars and butterflies made from egg cartons and coffee filters) in the center of each room of the "gallery."  The director even went so far as to provide refreshments in the form of mini muffins and donut holes and soft classical music to enhance our viewing experience.  It was one of the cutest things I've ever seen, and I'm so glad I was asked to be a part of it.  I'm even more glad I get to be a part of this kid-centered community for another two years.  Here's a peak at the Kids of Grace Art Show:

The girls with the Fancy art show sign...they're so proud of their hand print contributions! 


Brynn's little section of the exhibit - from top to bottom, a hand print horse with yarn for a mane and tail, jumping a popscicle stick fence, a stenciled polar bear, an autumn tree, and a gingerbread man (lady?).  And yes, her hair had already become this hot mess before school even started.


Hand print horse - Best in Show, apparently


Some other students' artwork and sculptures 


  Another section of the gallery...it looks totally legit, doesn't it?

So cute, right??? 

No comments:

Post a Comment