12.26.2010

Baby it's cold outside

Every year since I've lived in Virginia Beach (with the only exception being when I was pregnant in 2009), I've joined my husband in the annual Polar Plunge, where thousands of people throw common sense to the wind and jump into the ocean...in FEBRUARY!  Stupid, right?  What if I said it raises hundreds of thousands of dollars for Special Olympics every year?  Definitely worth the frostbite.  Now, the first few years I plunged, it was about 60 degrees and sunny outside.  Don't get me wrong...the water was painfully cold, as was the sand as I sprinted back to my clothes on the beach, but obviously it wasn't so bad because I did it again the next year, and the next, and the next. 

Last year, however, was a different story.  There was a nor'easter coming through the mid-Atlantic region that weekend, so we plunged amid a mixture of snow and sleet and 45 mph wind gusts.  See terrifying picture of the ocean below:


BRUTAL!!!  One would think after that, I would vow never to do that again.  Nope.  Not the case.  If I can plunge through that, I can plunge through anything!  

Here's the kicker.  Each year, we create a new theme for the Polar Plunge.  We dress up in costumes to match the theme and have a grand old time.  See exhibits below:

My brother Kevin in 2008, complete with Kevin Boss body paint done by Fancy Fonts.  Lest you need reminding, the New York Football Giants won the Super Bowl that year.

Here's Kevin again with my husband Ryan in 2009 (the year I was given permission to stay dry so I wouldn't give birth to a popsicle).  Mardi Gras was the theme, and body paint was again provided by Fancy Fonts.



Ah, 2010...Jersey Shore was the theme, hence the faux-hawks and fist pumps.  

This year's theme was conjured up over the holidays after my sister-in-law told me about someone who is donating all of her profits from selling Mary Kay this month to this year's Polar Plunge.  I was inspired to do the same, so every penny I make from now until the Plunge will be donated to Special Olympics Virginia. In honor of Fancy Fonts' fundraising efforts, this year's Polar Plunge theme will be...FANCY!!!  Hopefully I've piqued your interest and you'll be back after the plunge to see how we pulled it off.  Until then, support a great cause with your Fancy Fonts purchases or simply go to my secure Polar Plunge fundraising website, www.firstgiving.com/karenpsimas, to make a donation.  After all, I made snow angels in my bikini for this!


Ok, now that my soliciting is over, here are some last minute (some quite literally) Christmas gifts I made and will continue to offer:

 For the ski bunny

Cookies for Santa ornament 


A beach bum's best bud 


This one was for my parents - it says "Grandma and Grandpa's Little Flakes" and has the year and grandkids names written under snowflakes.

For a cool hockey chick 


For Lancaster, PA's #1 Handyman 


 For Twinkletoes


For the artsy and crafty 


Wasn't sure if we could, but WE DID IT!  Yay!  Lo hicimos! 


Quite possibly my new favorite...for my shaggadelic in-laws 


For a pair of ECU alum who got married this year 


I've said it before and I'll say it again...the above ornament does NOT reflect the views or opinions of Fancy Fonts OR Karen Psimas.  Bleck!

Moving away from ornaments, here are a few new items I fancied up for Christmas:


I came across these digital coin banks that I thought would be great for our cousin's kids...just add Fancy Fonts and AAA batteries for a unique Christmas gift!  As long as I can keep buying the banks, they'll be sold for $15 each (batteries not included).

I needed a quick hostess gift for my husband's aunt and uncle who always treat us to a beautiful Christmas Eve dinner.  I decorated these cute little bud vases with a winter berry design, so they can be used during Christmas AND the winter months that follow.  These little guys are so versatile and are a great gift idea for any occasion or season.  $12 for a set of three.


Another new product for 2011 is the personalized piggy bank.  I made this one for a baby shower, and they make great Christening, birthday, and even engagement gifts as well (encourage the couple to start saving for their wedding with one!).  The one pictured below is the largest size and can be purchased for $25.  They also come in medium for $15 and small for $5.  Give me a color scheme or send me a link to baby's bedding and I'll fancy Miss (or Mr.) Piggy right up for you!





Know someone who popped the question over the holidays?  Please pass my info along and let Fancy Fonts be a part of their happily ever after!

Awwwww!

Last but not least, I would love to post some pictures of loyal Fancy Fonts fans with their Fancy Fonts goods on my blog and Facebook page.  Please email me at karen.psimas@yahoo.com with pictures of your kids and their plate sets and ornaments on your tree, and encourage people you gave gifts to to do the same!  Send a picture and get 10% off your next purchase!

As always, email me at karen.psimas@yahoo.com or message me on Facebook to place an order.  Wishing everyone a happy, healthy, and FANCY 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment